The Hughston Clinic Registered Nurse (RN) OPS- Full Time in Phenix City, Alabama
SIGN ON BONUS AVAILABLE
Jack Hughston Memorial Hospital is seeking a Registered Nurse to workFull Time in our Outpatient department.
Position Goal: The Registered Nurse is an essential member of the patient care team who is responsible for the delivery of direct and indirect patient care through the nursing process inall assigned areas. Patient’s age range from Pediatric to Geriatrics. The Out Patient Surgery Unit admits all pre-operative patients. The staff ensures the unit setup and is ready to present an organized, prepared appearance to patients and their families. This calm approach helps alleviate some of the pre-operative tension experienced by patients and their families. This also provides enough time for staff to educate and medicate the patient prior to an early transfer to the OR.
- Includes appropriate interviewing techniques, systematic physical assessment and interpretation of available data including: past medical history, current medical status, vital signs, lab work, x-rays and other diagnostic tests. It should encompass the financial, spiritual, psychological, physiological, social, and age appropriate needs of the patient.
- Consistently, independently conducts a thorough admission interview and systematic physical assessment.
- Consistently, independently collects and interprets all appropriate patient data and reviews pertinent findings with Anesthesia.
- Assesses the need for services of other health care professionals to facilitate the delivery of care.
- Includes the utilization of a plan of care pertinent to the needs of the pre and postoperative patient.
- Demonstrates knowledge of resources available, sets priorities and establishes realistic outcomes and discharge planning.
- Independently develops/revises an appropriate age specific patient care plan
- Includes organization, prioritization and implementation of a safe therapeutic patient care regimen, recognizing the dynamics of changes that may occur and adjusting the plan of care to accommodate those changes. In addition, demonstrates an understanding of medication administration i.e. right patient, drug, route, dose, time, indications, drug interactions and side effects. Also demonstrates knowledge of the proper use, troubleshooting, and maintenance of all equipment utilized to carry out the patient care regimen.
- Independently organizes and implements a safe, therapeutic and efficient patient care regimen at all levels of acuity
- Sets appropriate priorities and completes assignment independently
- Is aware of changing clinical status, anticipates problems and independently adapts plan of care to meet patient needs as clinical status changes and reviews pertinent findings with Anesthesia.
- Demonstrates knowledge of location, operation and care of all equipment (eg. Datascope monitors, accucheck, etc) necessary to function on the unit independently. Able troubleshoot minor equipment problems.
- Includes a review of the effectiveness of a patient plan of care, based on patient progress, changing clinical status and appropriateness of expected outcomes. As a result of this review, the plan of care is continued, revised, or expected outcomes are adjusted.
- Evaluates effectiveness of plan of care based on patient progress versus expected outcomes, and independently revises plan or adjusts expected outcomes.
- Complies with surgical site verification.
- Reviews the planned procedure and verifies the surgical consent with the patient.
- Orientates the patient to their room with instruction on the use of the call bell and places the call bell within easy reach for the patient.
- Verifies all equipment is functioning and inspects for safety prior to use.
- Side rails are in the up position once pre-medications have been given and will remain up post-op until the patient is fully awake, alert and ready to ambulate.
- Ensures that patient wears “anti slip” slippers prior to ambulation.
- Reflects the changes in patient condition, care given and response to care given. It should demonstrate an awareness of responsibility of medical/legal implications through content and legibility requirements as needed.
- Documents on admission assessment, nursing care plan, flow sheets, medication administration record and nurses notes all pertinent information, in a manner that is concise, thorough, legible accurately reflects patient condition, care provided, response to care and conforms to JHMH policy and procedure on charting
- Assists others in developing accurate and thorough documentation skills
DISEASE PROCESS, MEDICATIONS AND TREATMENTS
- Demonstrates advanced knowledge of disease processes, medications and treatments through sound nursing practice and appropriate use of resources independently.
PROFESSIONAL KNOWLEDGE GROWTH
- Actively pursues appropriate continuing education and certifications.
- Attends and actively participates in unit in-services, patient conferences, and/or workshops annually
- Attends mandated in-services.
- Applies acquired knowledge in patient care practice.
- Attends 50% of department staff meetings, and signs minutes of meetings not attended.
- Maintains up-to-date CPR, safety training, and TB testing.
- Completes annual/critical competencies identified for assigned department.
- Demonstrates awareness of changes and advances in field.
- Takes responsibility for determining learning needs and seeks out opportunities for such
- Performs charge duties effectively and independently, when applicable
- Makes decisions and solves problems using decisiveness and judgment. Demonstrates effectiveness of decisions.
- Effectively handles crisis situations.
- Effectively distinguishes between activities and results; recognizes outcomes
- Demonstrates technical skills and knowledge in routine situations and serves as a resource person to support staff, patients and families.
- Demonstrates knowledge and technical skills in difficult situations and assists peers, other health care professionals, patients and family.
PROFESSIONAL ROLE MODEL
- Meets basic professional appearance and behavioral standards; understands and maintains professional boundaries.
- Recognized as a professional role model by personnel and managers on assigned unit with active participation in unit activities.
- Acts as a mentor or preceptor.
- Actively participates in QI activities as evidenced by departmental data collection and active participation in completing monitors (eg. crash cart checks), cost containment initiatives, new product/equipment evaluations, and failed equipment reporting.
- Performs duties with minimal personnel or patient conflict documented.
- Enhances hospital image internally and externally
- Initiates problem-solving of interdepartmental issues.
- Accurate, thorough and timely in reporting patient condition to peers, charge nurse, daily nursing supervisor (if applicable) and other health care professionals involved in patient care using Hand Off communication that includes: patient, assessment, situation and safety).
- Accurate, thorough and timely in reporting patient condition to physicians
- Utilizes time wisely to revise plans of care, provide for unit equipment organization or maintenance, or other tasks that facilitate unit workflow.
- Demonstrates enhanced time management skills as evidenced by completion of assignment in a timely manner and ability to assist others.
Experience: At least 1 year of medical/surgical nursing experience preferred* *Education: Alabama RN license in good standing required. Special Qualifications: Current BLS, ACLS, PALS required. (ACLS and PALS may be obtained within the first 6 months of employment)
*The Hughston Clinic, The Hughston Foundation, The Hughston Surgical Center, Hughston Clinic Orthopaedics, and Jack Hughston Memorial Hospital participate in E-Verify. This company is an equal opportunity employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, religion, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, disability, or protected veteran status. This company is a VEVRAA Federal *Contractor.
Title: Registered Nurse (RN) OPS- Full Time
Department: Outpatient - 709
Location: Phenix City, AL